About the Design for Learning Program (D4L)
After completing the Design for Learning program, our participants will be able to:
- Successfully transfer face-to-face teaching and learning skills and pedagogy to the online environment.
- Evaluate and gain experience with various platforms and tools for online teaching and learning.
- Design and create online instruction and instructional materials.
- Practice teaching and learning online.
Participants who complete the program will earn a Certificate of Completion issued by the Empire State Library Network. Documentation for other certifications, professional development, and continuing education will be provided as well.
The first cohort began working September 1, 2015 and the second cohort began February 1, 2016.
All instructional materials, including the modules/units, best practices, and presentations, will be freely available to the library community via the project websites and other relevant archival sites.
The Design 4 Learning Team originally recruited 90 participants for each cohort of online learners. We invited participants from all types of libraries, subject specializations, diverse cultural backgrounds, and library experience levels. Our current learners are also current trainers, instructors, or other individuals who want to provide online training for library staff, library patrons, or other learner groups within a library context. An MLS (or equivalent) was NOT required for our participants.
We asked that our participants must also:
- be willing and able to commit to participation when modules are scheduled and able to respond to emails at other times.
- demonstrate a strong interest in learning about teaching and learning online.
- have access to the internet and email to facilitate learning through the Moodle Learning Management System(LMS), online meeting tools, and email.
- be willing and able to participate through social media, such as Facebook, Google + Hangouts, and similar tools. Training in using these tools will be provided.
If you have questions about the program, please contact us at email@example.com